Montessori is based on building a strong community. As they say, “It takes a village to raise a child”. The lives of our students are better because of YOU. Everyone has something to give, big or small. We will be giving families throughout the year many opportunities to volunteer and to be a part of our celebrations. To help our families understand how important they are in our student’s lives we have created a Family Involvement Card. At the beginning of every school year, each student will receive a new card for the upcoming school year. When the card is complete, students and their families will receive a $20.00 credit at the School Store or at the Uniform Closet. Each activity is worth $1.00 credit at the School Store or Uniform Closet. Face value will be paid on each card in May if the card is not filled. Below is a list of activities on the card.
Each Semester please complete:
- Attend 1 parent information night (at least)
- Attend 1 parent teacher conference
- Attend 1 PTA meeting (at least)
- Attend 1 social activity (at least)
- Volunteer at 1 activity or 2 hours at the school(at least)
- Participate in 1 fundraiser (at least)
Each Year please complete:
- Observe 1 time in your child’s classroom
Emerson Specific Involvement Information
There are many ways to get involved at Emerson! Click below to get started.
To become a volunteer:
- Speak to your child’s teacher or anyone from the administration team about your desire
- Complete background check. This is a requirement for ALL volunteers who come into contact with our students.
- Attend a Volunteer’s training. This training will provide an overview of the Montessori method and will help you to match your gifts to our needs. We will also outline general expectations for all volunteers at Emerson Elementary.
Join the PTA!
We hope you will be joining the PTA for the school year. Dues are only $10.00 per year. The PTA is great way to become more involved in your child's education. The kids see you in a different light when you are helping the school and serving it's community.
Please contact Ericka Murphy to let her know that you can help! 918-860-3200 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Board Members
- Ericka Murphy
- Vice President (Membership)
- Nathan Pickard
- Lara Merrill
- Ashley Aveilhe
- STEM Silent Auction Coordinator
- Susan Foust
- Building Representative
- Susan Foust
- Community Relations
- Katie Russell
Parental involvement is a combination of commitment and active participation on the part of parent to the school and to the student. As parents you can ensure that your child receives the benefits from parental involvement by staying up to date on what is happening in the classroom.
Tulsa Public Schools is committed to helping your child develop the academic knowledge and critical thinking he or she needs to succeed in school and beyond. As a result, these involvement opportunities empower parents to take action. By connecting parents to school officials, community members, other parents, knowledge, and powerful allies, these opportunities build bridges and networks that support schools and sustain whole communities.
Box Tops for Education is a wonderful program sponsored by General Mills and their associated brands. For every box top that is turned in Emerson receives $0.10. If every student brought in onebox top a month our school would raise $315 a year. If everyone brought in two we would earn $630.
Visit Box Tops for Education to sign up to be part of our team and print coupons for participating brands.
Parent Involvement Plan
Emerson Elementary School shall promote parent involvement in all schools as Mandated by Title 1, No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and work as equal partners with parents in providing quality learning experiences for every student, everyday, without exception.
The Board believes and acknowledges that parent involvement raises the academic achievement level of students. Additionally, parents become empowered, teacher morale improves and communities grow stronger when parents take an active role in educating their children. To this end, schools shall involve parents in the education of their children at all grades levels. The Superintendent of his/her designee shall provide coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist all schools in planning and implementing effective parent involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance. Public Law 107-110, No Child Left Behind: section 1118-Title 1 Parent Involvement establishes that to build capacity for parent involvement within schools, a district is to “develop jointly with, agree on with, and distribute to parents of participating children a written Parent Involvement”.
Building Parents Capacity for Involvement
The Board believes that empowering parents to insist on improvement and giving schools extra incentive to do so and by giving parents options regarding their children’s education helps the district to realize its vision to become the “District of Choice” for patrons of the community. As a result of this belief, the Board shall create an environment of supportive and collaborative parent involvement.
- Everyone can and will learn
- High expectations yield high results
- Quality learning experiences require:
- An effective teacher in every classroom
- An effective principal in every school
- A challenging curriculum
- Adequate resources
- Continuous improvement in every classroom, office and department
- Shared accountability among students, teachers, administrators, staff, parent and community
- A safe, secure, non-threatening and comfortable environment
- Families and communities are essential partners in the education process
- Every employee is personally responsible to model ethical behavior, exhibit a strong work ethic, and to achieve high performance
- Every individual has dignity and worth
- A diverse community of learners require a variety of educational opportunities
- A school-wide focus on comprehension will prepare our students for future educational goals:
- We Read to Understand
- We Respond Thoughtfully
- We Integrate the Montessori Curriculum
A. Program Information for Parents: Emerson Elementary School shall provide assistance to parents of all children in understanding such topics as the state’s academic content and achievement standards, the assessments being used, the requirements of Title 1, Part A, No Child Left Behind and how to monitor their children’s progress and work with educators to improve their achievement.
B. Educate Educators: Emerson Elementary School shall educate teachers, pupil services personnel, Principals and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, implement and coordinate parent programs and build ties between parents and the school.
C. Parent Engagement Coordination: Emerson Elementary School shall “to the extent feasible and appropriate,” coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs, and conduct other activities, such as parent resource centers, that encourage and support parents in more fully participating in the education of their children.
D. Understandable Communication: Emerson Elementary School shall ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meeting and other activities is sent to the parents of all children in a format, and to extend practicable, in a language the parents can understand.
E. Other Requested Activities: Emerson Elementary School shall provide such other reasonable support for parental involvement activities as parents’ request.
Reviewed: September 2018
District Involvement Information
- Stay Connected - TPS social media and smartphone app
- Tulsa Council of PTAs
- National PTA
- Booster Clubs/PTAs sanctioned organizations
- Parents as Teachers
- Student and Family Guide to Success (includes the Behavior Response Plan)
- Achieving. Classroom Excellence (ACE) Parental Curriculum Choice Letter
- Logrando la Excelencia en el Salón de Clases Carta hacia los Padres para la Selección de Currículo
- Parent Guide | Guía para Padres
- Parents Right To Know | El Derecho a Saber de los Padres
- Parent and Family Engagement Policy
- Educational Surrogate Parents Program
- All students need parental support to succeed. The Educational Surrogate Parents Program responds to the need for support and representation of students with disabilities whose parents are not available. This program relies on the commitment of volunteers who support a student's education by advocating for him/her to ensure that the student receives a free and appropriate public education.